Just a quick update to share that I met my main goal, and paid off $20,000 in loan principal this year. This is probably where I’ll end up for the year, but I’m pretty happy with my progress, and hoping to do even better in 2017.
This is slightly under what I paid off last year (didn’t realize that the total on my last post for 2015 was to the same point in 2015, and not the total for the full year — I must have had an additional payment at the end of the year that put me over the edge.
$56,614 – remaining balance by original loan:
$2,625$0 (freshman year – undergrad) $8,500$3,614 (1L subsidized loan)*
- $12,000 (1L unsubsidized loan)*
- $8,500 (2L subsidized loan)
- $12,000 (2L unsubsidized loan)
- $8,500 (3L subsidized loan)
- $12,000 (3L unsubsidized loan)
$3,500$0 (Grad Plus Loan – bar fees and prep) $1,200$0 (Irresponsibility Loan #1) $2,500$0 (Irresponsibility Loan #2) $1,200$0 (Irresponsibility Loan #3)
* On the off chance anyone besides myself is actually reading this. I’m wondering if I should go in order of smallest to largest on my tracking here (all $8,500 loans first) or by school year ($8,500 then $12,000 each time)? These are actually all consolidated together, so it doesn’t make and real difference, but I’m thinking it might help me to be able to say that I’m 100% done with paying off my first year of law school — or something like that.